Some Examples of Fine Classic Louis XVI Commode (1/3)
Now, let's take a look at a few classic styles of the French Louis XVI commodes.
1. Refined Louis XVI commode, designed with three rows of drawers, two joined without crossbars, with white marble top. The mahogany veneer is extensively fitted with gilt bronze, enhancing the shape of the piece. The mahogany veneer on the furniture surface has a leaf-like effect, which is obtained by cutting the trunk at an oblique angle.
2. Exquisite commode with three rows of drawers, two beamless, bevelled and with white marble top. The veneer of tulip wood has a tightly grained pattern. This is because the wood is cut along the trunk rather than through it. The chest of drawers is decorated with numerous gilt bronze accessories.
3. Classic commode style with three rows of drawers, two without crossbars, rounded sides and top in white marble. The butterfly-shaped tulip wood veneer is adorned with elegant inlaid garlands and classic, sober gilt bronze accents.
4. A beautifully breakfront commode with three rows of drawers, two beamless, rounded corners and a marble top, inlaid with diamond-shaped tulipwood veneer. The chest of drawers is also extensively fitted with bronze accessories to accentuate the shape of the piece. The shape of the front is relatively delicate and is rarely seen in Louis XVI chests of drawers.
5. Beautiful small Louis XVI commode with three rows of drawers, two beamless, beveled, with white marble top. This chest of drawers has Landrin's stamp on it. The tulipwood and kingwood veneers are inlaid with flowers and vine leaves, and the medallion in the center represents the fisherman. A ribbon wraps around the inlay. The application of gilt bronze is kept to a minimum: handles, runners and sabots.
6. Exquisite commode, three rows of drawers, two beamless, beveled and white marble top. The tulip wood veneer is extensively fitted with gilt bronze. The chest of drawers is stamped with Ohneberg's stamp.